National Donut Day is coming June 6! Watch a for special offer from LaMar’s. Meanwhile, read about the history of this American celebration.
National Donut Day
Did you know…
Donut Glossary from Around the World
Italy = fritole
Montenegro = ustipci
Mexico = churrro
Turkey = lokma
France = beignet
Germany = krapfen
Hungary = langos
India = balushai
Netherlands = oliebollen
- In the U.S. alone, more than 10 billion donuts are made every year.
- The largest donut ever made was an American-style jelly donut weighing 1.7 tons, which was 16 feet in diameter and 16 inches high in the center.
- Per capita, Canada has more donut shops than any other country.
- The hole in the donut’s center appeared in the first half of the 19th Century.
- Adolph Levitt invented the first donut machine in 1920.
- The US donut industry is worth 3.6 billion dollars.
- The Guinness World record for donut eating is held by John Haight, who consumed 29 donuts in just over 6 minutes.